ARTIST BIO (previous)
St Celfer, once a New York artist, is now based in Seattle and São Paulo with drawings in the collection of the Museum of Contemporary Art (MAC-USP).
Initially self-taught, he made art objects while preparing as an athlete for the 1992 Olympics. After competing in Barcelona, being an enthusiastic fan of grunge, he moved to Seattle. He later studied art in Philadelphia. In 1999 he relocated to Brooklyn and showed installations applying painting’s ideas of plasticity to everyday inexpensive objects (Gleaned Detritus Project™). Adding an interactive element he followed the same approach in the medium of sound (Listeners™). Furthermore he performed in 2000’s New York music scene. Frustrated with the notion of making a living through object production, he extended his visual work to the digital realm (eyekhan.com & gnitcelfer.blogspot.com), alongside his music releases (stcelfer.bandcamp.com among other places), by creating images and sounds based on failing digital processes.
He currently has two projects: first, fighting the tyranny of the square, the urge to codify and name (Space Between Points™) and second, acquiescing to the adaptive function of delusion, the need to invent and mythologize (Step.4D™).
- Gleaned Detritus Project™ (applying painting’s ideas of plasticity to everyday inexpensive objects)
- Listeners™ (exploring the medium of sound in sculpture)
- jenghizkhan, earcon, Man From Planet Risk, He Goatan !M.O.O.B (making and playing music)
- eyekhan.com / gnitcelfer.blogspot.com (documenting failing digital processes / ideas for upcoming projects)
which, after living in Brooklyn, include:
- Space Between Points™ (fighting the tyranny of the square, the urge to codify and label) with drawings currently displayed at the Museum of Contemporary Art, MAC USP, São Paulo and sounds streamed on Radio Eclectus, Hollow Earth Radio, KHUH, Seattle
- STEP.4D™ (acquiescing to the adaptive function of delusion, the need to invent and mythologize) with music featured by Bandcamp.com as NEW AND NOTABLE and played on Flotation Devices, KBCS, Seattle, and other places worldwide